<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Jun 10, 2004

Another great American has passed 

Ray Charles Dies at 73

Though he will be best remembered for "Georgia on my mind," my favorite has always been Ray Charles' rendition of "America the Beautiful." The fact that a man who had never seen "amber waves of grain" or "purple mountain majesties" could sing that song so powerfully... well, it damn near brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it.

In 1998 I was driving across the country on my way to my first duty in the Marine Corps. May God bless that radio DJ - whoever we was - who threw on Ray singing "America the Beautiful" as I was crossing Kansas... sunset in my rearview mirror... wheat fields from horizon to horizon... absolutely marvelous.

Here's to Ray Charles and Ronald Reagan...

America the Beautiful

song download, and other patriotic music, found here
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com