<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Feb 8, 2005

Strengthening the American gene pool... 

...or, "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out."

To quote Dave Barry, I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP.

NY TIMES - Some Bush Foes Vote Yet Again, With Their Feet: Canada or Bust

Promise?

I'm not going to go line by line through this article and trounce the whole thing. I can't do it in good conscience. While I applaud the thought of the weaker threads in the American fabric yanking themselves out of the quilt and thereby increasing the end-strength of the remaining US gene pool, I am utterly shocked that the average, everyday American citizen would be so distraught over one election as to forsake their country and take up residence in Canada.

Nothin' wrong with Canada. Matter of fact, every Canadian I've met has said that they've toyed with the idea of moving to America. This was some years ago, before the current unpleasantness... but I digress...

Fact is, if you do not possess the intestinal fortitude to gut out four more years of a President you hate, then please - by all means - hit the road. I won't stop ya. I might even spring for cab fare.

I didn't bail on this country, this NATION, land of the free and home of the brave, when a certain previous IMPEACHED President was in office. No sir. I went and joined Mother Green's Killing Machine, and consoled myself with the fact that he wasn't king for life. He was the President, he would be gone 4 years hence, and regardless of what I personally thought of the man, he was the goddammed Commander in Chief. Dislike him though I may, I would respect his Office (possibly more than he did.)

And so, I cry not a single tear for the people that can't hack it here in the good ol' U S of A anymore. I can only shake my head in wonder as they go. Wonder at how they came to this conclusion. Wonder at how they think this will improve their lives. And most importantly, wonder at how they ever managed to get by here in the first place.

We are a country founded by mountain men, cowboys, and miners. People who tilled soil, froze at Valley Forge, and climbed the Rockies just to check out the view. Was a time when we didn't suffer fools. What the hell happened?

How did this country so manage to peg out the wuss meter in such a short period of time? It really isn't that long ago that Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett walked these lands, when you think of it. And now we've got other people walking the land... walking out.

So, GOODBYE to those folks who don't pack the gear to be Americans anymore. Wish I could say that we'll miss you, but we won't. Maybe with your chromosomes gone, it'll decrease the number of generations it'll take for another Boone or Crockett to grace us with his presence.

But that's not really fair. Folks like that still exist here in America. They always have and they always will. And they STICK AROUND, no matter what.
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com