<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Oct 3, 2006

R.I.P. Woodland Cammies 

So last Friday came and went and I forgot, dammit all.

I forgot that it was the LAST DAY that I could wear my old school cammies - the "analog" type - to work. As of Fiscal Year '07 they are no longer authorized. My last opportunity for a "saltier-than-thou" moment, and I totally blow it.

Man, I hated the "digital" uniforms when they first came out. I thought they looked stupid. And initially they WERE stupid. The original concept included things like zip-off SLEEVES. Does that seem smart to ANYONE? "Sorry Gunny. I can't go war… I lost all my left arms in a tragic laundry day mix-up."

But they grew on me. I mean hey, wash and wear, baby! Nowadays you don't iron your cammies, you don't polish your boots, and all your brass is anodized. What the hell do the D.I.s do to screw with the recruits anymore? No starch. No Kiwi. No Brasso. Em-Nu stock has plummeted… hell, do they even MAKE Em-Nu anymore?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
The tools of my wasted youth...

I'm not even supposed to buy black socks from here on out. Now they're all "coyote" brown. Apparently "sand" wasn't as cool a name for brown as "coyote" was... but I'm stuck with green t-shirts which look downright silly behind desert cammies...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

So, goodbye to all my old cammies and any hope for their further usefulness. Now it becomes a fight with The Wif to keep some for purely sentimental reasons. I'm a bit of a pack-rat when it comes to these things. Although I'm sure that the closet space that is being hogged by my now antiquated gear could be put to better use.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Mmmmmm..... Salty.....
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com