<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Mar 7, 2007

Subliminal messaging? 

So maybe I'm reading too much into this. And maybe I'm not the right guy to bitch because I don't read a lot of comic books (or really ANY, for that matter). And to top it all off, as we all know, I'm a Batman guy. But this strikes me as just the most underhanded slap in the face that the guys at Marvel could take at the country that has given them a voice to write comics in the first place:
Captain America has undertaken his last mission — at least for now. The venerable superhero is killed in the issue of his namesake comic that hit stands Wednesday, the Daily News reported.

On the new edition's pages, a sniper shoots down the shield-wielding hero as he leaves a courthouse, according to the newspaper.
Yes, you read that right: THEY KILLED CAPTAIN AMERICA. (That would be bad enough, but then MessNBC goes one better with the headline "Death to America". Nice.)

Now, I know how comics work, and I know that storylines don't necessarily carry over from one series to the next, and I know that comic writers will retcon the daylights out of stuff to bring characters back to life or change their origins, or whatever. Hell, they did it with Superman even. But I gotta agree with 93 year old Joe Simon who co-created "Cap" with Jack Kirby in 1941: "We really need him now."

Apparently, this all makes a very bold statement on personal freedoms, and the Patriot Act, and 9/11, and... whatever… I think it's anti-American BS, and if they bring Cap back to life he'll inevitably be some tortured soul who doesn't bleed red, white, and blue anymore and is more likely to search for international approval before taking any action - ever. Kinda like this guy. Of course, in this most recent incarnation, he may have kinda been leaning that way anyway.

The point is, I can't think of any other country - any other culture - so willing to destroy it's own heroes. Even the fictional ones. I promise you the enemy doesn't kill off HIS heroes in HIS cartoons. Of course, given the nature of our current enemies, I could be wrong...
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com