<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Jun 19, 2007

Batman blogging 

Why? Because it's been awhile, and I'm reeeeally eager to read Frank Miller's "Holy Terror, Batman!" when it finally drops. I like Miller more every time I read an interview...
Much has been made of Miller's politics in the wake of 300. The deliriously violent and stylized sword film is based on a Spartan battle in 480 BC, and although Miller wrote and drew the story for Dark Horse comics a decade ago, in film form it was received by many as a grotesque parody of the ancient Persians and a fetish piece for a war on Islam. Miller scoffs at those notions. "I think it's ridiculous that we set aside certain groups and say that we can't risk offending their ancestors. Please. I'd like to say, as an American, I was deeply offended by The Last of the Mohicans."

Still, Miller gets stirred up about any criticism of the war in Iraq or the hunt for terrorists, which he views as the front in a war between the civilized Western world and bloodthirsty Islamic fundamentalists.

"What people are not dealing with is the fact that we're going up against a culture that finds it acceptable to do things that the rest of the world left behind with the barbarians in the sixth century," Miller said. "I'm a little tired of people worrying about being polite. We are fighting in the face of fascists."
...
Miller also said he relishes a backlash. "I'm ready, for my fatwa."
In the most general of terms Frank, as an American, you've already got one.
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com