<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Nov 7, 2008

Yeah, that sounds about right 

Ahhh, Seattle - the town that I used to call home and have long since escaped from. But I totally CAN'T WAIT to go back now, though. And why not, you may ask? Because, it seems, Seattle is happy to be part of America again.
With newfound patriotism, Seattleites want to wave the flag, hang it from their homes and stick it on their cars.

"The thing that's kind of astounding to me is I never ever would have cared to own a flag," said Rosemary Garner, 42. "This is the first day in my life I actually feel this funny sense of pride about my country. It's a very foreign feeling, but it's a good one."

Garner, a self-described "flag virgin" who lives on Capitol Hill, bought eight flags Wednesday -- some to wave and others to stick on her car to "mix and match with some nice Obama and peace signs.
...
At All the King's Flags in Ballard, people have been snatching up American flags.

"Just today I've had a noticeable rush on U.S. flags," said James Sawyer, assistant manager. "I had a lady come in and she said she's happy to be an American again, that's why she was buying a flag."
In a true stroke of GENIUS, the Seattle PI offers you a chance to download and print your own American flag! Whether or not this has anything to do with most Seattleites not knowing what the hell it looked like without someone telling them "hey, here it is," is anyone's guess. Only one person could be found for the story that didn't have their head completely up their ass.
The Star-Spangled Banner should transcend political party, said Anderson, who supported Obama.

"I don't care whether it's the Fourth of July or whatever. This country's at war. You'd think that you'd see a few American flags flying. Were they not flying the flag because they don't like George Bush? I mean, give me a break. It should represent more than who's in office. The flag itself to me has always represented an honor."
But we want to end on a positive note - this IS a Seattle news outlet reporting, after all - so here ya go.
A New England upbringing has led Briggs Hause, a cashier at Magnolia Ace Hardware, to frequently fly the flag. But she disliked President Bush's leadership so much that she couldn't.

"I haven't the last eight years because I was very depressed with it," said Hause, who gave her age as "in my 60s." "It wasn't my America. I didn't put out one (a flag). Refused to. But now I will."
The Seattle timeline for national pride was apparently just a little longer than Michelle Obama's, that's all...

As a final helping hand for the self-described "flag virgins," the PI breaks out a bit of the flag code, so people know what the hell to do. Included on the list are the following:
- The flag should be placed in superior prominence to other flags.
- Flags should be clean and not tattered. Worn out flags should be burned.
Even with their newfound patriotism, I'm guessing that Seattleites will still have a hard time with the former. The latter however, should be easy enough to handle...
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com